08/12/1998 18:09:59 PRESS DIGEST - Russia - Aug 12
MOSCOW, Aug 12 (Reuters) - The following are some of the
leading stories in the August 13 edition of Russian newspapers.
Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for
- Decisive actions are needed to combat financial problems
on Russia's markets.
- The government has worked out a programme of structural
reconstruction of the energy sector.
- Russia's commercial banks seem to be finding it difficult
to support the government's anti-crisis measures.
- Russia's government vowed on Wednesday to pay off all its
debts though the amount has exceeded all reasonable limits.
- The government will subsidize Russia's farmers who have
suffered from summer severe drought with 141 million roubles.
About 39 regions have suffered from the disaster, according to
- A new grave of mass burials of Polish prisoners of war has
been discovered in the Urals region.
- The new head of the Federal Security Service seems to be
reviving methods of the Soviet-era KGB, says the paper in
connection with an instruction to carry out political searches
into activities of certain individuals.
- The population of Moscow has fallen by 30,000 during the
last six months. Officials explain the fall by the reluctance of
young people to get married and produce children.
--Tatyana Ustinova, Moscow newsroom, +7095 941 8520.